The client was planning to apply for 21 months Certificate of Fitness (CoF) extension for all the DOSH registered unfired pressure vessels in their plant. The previous shutdown inspection was performed by DOSH in Mac 2021, while the current Cof Expiry Date is in June 2022 (based on regular 15 months CoF). Therefore, the next shutdown inspection is targeted to be in May 2024.

The Factories and Machinery Act (FMA) was enacted in 1967. The objectives of the Act are to provide control on factories to secure the safety, health, and welfare of people therein and for the purpose of registration and inspection of machinery in Malaysia.


According to Factories and Machinery Act 139, Part II, Regulation 10 (1):

“The owner of every steam boiler, unfired pressure vessel, or hoisting machine other than a hoisting machine driven by manual power shall hold a valid certificate of fitness in respect thereof so long as such machinery remains in service”

According to Factories and Machinery (Notification, Certificate of Fitness and Inspection) Regulations, Part III – Inspection, Regulation 14. Regular Inspection:

After an initial inspection every factory and every machinery shall be inspected at regular intervals by an Inspector so long as such factory remains in operation or such machinery remains in use.

The client is required to extend the Certificate of Fitness (CoF) of the unfired pressure vessel from 15 months to 36 months so that the plant is not required to shut down for Regular Inspection by DOSH within the 15 months.

IPETRO SERVICES SDN BHD team was appointed to perform a risk based inspection (RBI) study based on API 581 Quantitative methodology using Antea asset integrity management (AIM) software in order to apply for CoF extension from DOSH.

The Cof Extension application required support from DOSH State and approval by the Director of DOSH Head Quarters, Putrajaya.

If granted, the CoF extension would enable the client to avoid scheduled shutdown, thereby resulting in substantial cost savings and avoiding productivity interruptions to operations.

Solution

IPETRO performed the risk based inspection (RBI) study using Antea asset integrity management software, and prepared all the documentation required by DOSH which includes:

  1. RBI Assessment Study Report
  2. Asset Register
  3. Inspection Summary
  4. Corrosion Study
  5. Production Impact
  6. Internal Thinning Corrosion Rate & Remaining Life Tabulation
  7. RBI Analysis Result
  8. Inspection Plan
  9. DOSH Cof Extension Checklist

The study contains the evaluation of the risks for pressure vessels that are subjected to different credible or potential damage mechanisms that may lead to loss of containment and hence will cause safety and economic consequences. Some equipment was split into various components due to different damage mechanisms that are expected for the different components in the equipment.

Result 

Based on the RBI analysis, 20% of equipment are ranked in the “Medium” Risk category while the other 80% of equipment are ranked in the “Low” Risk category. None of the pressure vessels are due for inspection before Mac 2024.

Photo 2: RBI assessment using Antea AIM Software

Our risk based inspection studies have supported the client in successfully obtaining the 21-month CoF extension from DOSH Putrajaya. This has helped them minimize shutdown frequency and the production loss cost.

Photo 3: CoF Extension Approval Letter by DOSH Putrajaya

For more details on the results of this case study and the services involved, contact us.

Let's get in touch

Give us a call or fill in the form below and we will contact you. We endeavor to answer all inquiries within 24 hours.
[contact-form-7 id="8644"]